I know some of you out there have books you're querying or will be querying. This is a succinct list on how to ensure you write the PERFECT query letter. You're welcome.
To write a query letter that will get you a manuscript request be sure to:
1) Be succinct. No more than one page for a query unless you decide to do it right, then please write the required 2-3 pages tops. But be succinct in those 2-3 pages.
2) Include some personal information you’ve found out about the agent to show you did your research. Include info not easily found to show you REALLY did your research like their address, pant size and where their child goes to school. But don’t get TOO personal, nothing about politics or their favorite cuisine.
3) Include info about yourself and your achievements at the END of your query especially if you are previously published or have won awards. Make sure it’s the FIRST thing the agent sees when opening your email so they know who they’re working with but limit the bio to 10 1/2 words.
4) Tell the agent everything about your story - don’t leave them guessing that will only frustrate them. But don’t spoil any big surprises because you want to leave them guessing. But only a little so tell the ending but not exactly what happens. “Leave them wanting more,” is a good thing to keep in mind. Also, so is, “Don’t leave them hanging.” 5) Have your query reflect your writing style. Unless you write poetry, don’t do that. Or if you write humor be careful not to be too funny, you want to seem professional. If you write for children don’t include pictures, and if you write mystery, don’t be mysterious. If you write romance, don’t say boobs, and if you write sci-fi include a dictionary of all the made up language.
6) Finally, never send attachments because they get flagged as spam email. But make sure the attachment is a .PDF or word doc because that’s all they’ll accept.
#humor #funny #writer #author #authorsofinstagram #writersofinsta #writingcommunity #writerslifeforme #literaryagent #needanagent #booklover #books #hope #amwriting #amquerying
I want to get my book to @hodakotb
since she's in it and I think @jennabhager
will love it