If you've been following along with my stories, you will know the ongoing saga of my new not-so-dry-suit.
Having spent a lot of time educating myself on what to look for when buying a dry-suit, I finally got one two weeks ago. I learned that the most critical feature of a dry suit keeping water out, and that that depends on getting a well-fitting suit.
So I considered myself lucky to find that one of the off-the-shelf suits fit me perfectly. I didn't need to go through the hassle of getting one made to measure. Bonus!
Or so I thought till I jumped into the swimming pool and went for a swim. Everything appeared to be going well till I got out of the water and realised that I wasn't exactly dry. I was soaking. I had to pour water out of the suit and endue and an annoyingly long wait for my dry-suit to dry out and become dry again!
A second trip to the pool identified the problem. By limiting my time in the water to just a few minutes, I was able to look at my clothes and see where the wet patch was. A giant circular wet circle on my chest made it clear I was dealing with a faulty inflation valve.
So I took the suit back to the shop yesterday. I phoned first (you always do that, right) to let them know the problem and they told that the dry-suit expert was in store all-day.
After a few minutes of persuading him that the suit was leaking and I wasn't just getting very sweaty, he concluded that the valve was not seated very well. The valve gets screwed into a hole in the suit and then made watertight with some silicon sealant gel, kinda like that stuff you put around the edge of the bath. It took him about 5 mins to take the valve off and re-install it.
Next step, back to the pool and re-test. Stay tuned!